This is our personal favorite apple pie recipe from scratch. This is a perfect and easy apple pie recipe. It will help you bake just the right apple pie, with perfectly golden-brown crust and edges. I can assure you that this is one of the best apple pie recipe in the world and at the same time it is a very simple apple pie recipe too.
So let us get started with this classic apple pie recipe:
- Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Baking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Makes: 9-inch pie
Apple pie ingredients:
Chilled pie dough for covering top and bottom of a 9-inch pan
- 7-8 baking apples
- ½ cup light or brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp pf ground ginger
- ¼ tsp of ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp of ground allspice
- ¼ tsp of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 egg
Direction for homemade apple pie recipe:
- Start with making apple pie filling by peeling and cutting them into half about ¼ inch thick and remove the core. Place the slices into a large bowl. Now add all the spices, salt and sugar on the apples and give it a toss with your hands mixing them well and set aside for an hour.
- Now to prepare the pie crust, roll out half of the pie dough using flour on the surface. Roll the dough from the center and keep turning from the edges to prevent it from sticking. Now when done with rolling check the size by inverting the pie dish on the dough. It must be 2 inches larger than the dish. Now carefully set the dough in the pie dish finely and refrigerate it while preparing the filling. Roll out the other half dough in a similar size transferring it on a parchment sheet. Keep this in the refrigerator until required.
- Now prepare the oven by positing the oven rack in the center and preheat it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now it’s time to assemble the pie. Add cornstarch on apples and toss it well and transfer the apples into the bottom crust as much required. Press them with your hand to settle it in the pan. And don’t overfill. You can save the left out. After which you can put the leftover juice over the apples just don’t overdo it. Now take butter into small pieces and place them between the apples in the pie. Now it’s time to place the double crust. Cover the filling of the pie with the dough or you can cut it into strips and then cover the top knotting the stips beautifully or any other creative way. And if you do not wish to do it and just cove it simply, make sure to cut out the dough parts on top to let the steam pass. And then fish this by trimming the excess dough out of the crust and fold them in well with each other. Press it well on the edges using your fingers to give a crimp. And at last, whisk the egg with a little water and give the pie crust a good egg wash to add shine.
- It’s time to bake. Place your pie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. And let it bake for around 75 minutes, until it’s brown. If it’s browning very quickly cover it with a foil upside down which will help it bake properly. You will know that it’s cooked when you see the apple juice bubbling from the vents on top crust. If it is not there, the pie is still to cook. You can also place a thermometer in it to keep a check. Pierce the pie from the middle to check its temperature, if it reads 195 degrees F, it’s done
- As your pie is done now, it’s time to serve. Make sure that you let cool the pie and not slice it until it’s at a normal temperature. It will take around an hour to cool. Keep this in mind that the pie filling does not thicken until cool. So to have the best of it let it sit for an hour to get to room temperature and then place it in the refrigerator for the next few minutes. The cool pie will prevent it from getting soggy.
- You can very easily store the leftovers. The pie can resist for 2-3 days at room temperature and a week if stored in the refrigerator. You can microwave the slices for 5 minutes before serving it.
- Using the best apples for pie is very important. To have the best flavor in your pie, the apple must be fresh and juicy to get caramelized well and serve you a delicious apple pie.
- Now if you have some apple leftover, that’s fine. To make the best use of them, add them in a skillet with the apple juice and a water splash and let it cook until soft. You can add a little butter or coconut oil in it for a better taste. you can store this and use it in ice cream or oatmeals.
- While preparing the apples for pie, there remains juice for like around ¾ cup at the bottom of the bowl. It tells you about your pie’s consistency. If they leave the juice a little around the amount mentioned, that is ok. But if the liquid is more than that, your apples might be overripe and it might make your pie a bit runny.
So don’t wait anymore and try this best apple pie recipe in your kitchens. I can make sure that you and your family are going to love it and it will become your kid’s favorite. If you make it a little extra won’t be a problem either as it is easy to store it too.