Tattoos can generally be divided into three types :
- Pure Decoration (a design without any specific meaning)
- Symbolic (something that defines a particular meaning)
- Pictorial (an image of someone or something)
In different religions the concepts regarding tattoos are different. Like in Egypt people earlier used Tattoos to show respect and dedication to their god whereas in Hindu culture tattoos are normally accepted. But in Christianity we find no specific norms regarding tattoos.
Lions are considered as the “King of the Jungle”. Lion symbolises strength, courage and fierce. It is a very masculine concept, therefore the concept of Lion tattoos is very popular among the men. And even if we go through the 6th Century BC fables from Aesop we can get to know that the Lion stands for immense bravery and confidence. Hence there are a number of variations in Lion Tattoo designs – from tribal to roaring and modern.
1. Lion Face Tattoo: One of the most popular designs is the Lion Face Tattoo. If you are a lion lover then it’s going to be a perfect match. Because the face of the lion depicts well his fierceness and courage. Sometimes even people go for the photorealistic styles of this design and that looks perfectly classy and even more manly. Generally men prefer to do this on their forearm or wrist because in that case only they can show off the detailing well. These types of designs require great skills to get inked properly because only then the realistic essence can be felt well.
2. Tribal Lion Tattoo: Next that comes into our mind quite easily is the Tribal Lion Tattoo. It again covers many variations as we can either prefer to choose the heritage concept or we can go for the pictorial concept, like portraying the image of the lion according to the different traditional cultures. Generally black inks are used to make this and it suits well in light skin toned people. Somehow this design often reminds us of the typical African tribal art and culture. The feathers, the lion imagery goes well in the tribal art concept.
3. Modern Lion Tattoo: Another popular design is the Modern Lion Tattoo. It is the perfect combination of tribal and modern art . It includes some geometric designs and the fillings in between the layers makes it look unique and cool. It is generally inked in a monotone shade with some grey or black filling. It is generally a medium sized design and it looks great on the forearm.
4. Simple Lion Tattoo: One of the cool tattoo designs is the Simple Lion Tattoo. If you are a minimalist then you will simply love this design and it includes very fine touches of the black colour and creates that typical gaze of the lion. It looks smart enough as this concept is very neat, clean and sober. It suits well on brownish skin toned people mostly.
5. Lion with Crown Tattoo: Next most interesting pattern is the Lion with Crown Tattoo. Have you ever heard of the King of the Beasts? Yes, that concept gets well portrayed throughout this tattoo. It is actually an amazing concept of Lion Tattoo art. The crown on the head shows his kingly gestures well and this design is something that makes the tattoo not only well portrayed but well defined too. And this design is very popular among the men as this lion with his crown depicts the concept of courage, bravery and protection and as men are considered to be the protector it goes perfectly with their masculinity.
6. Lion Back Tattoo: And what if someday a Lion roars from the back? Exactly a roaring face of the Lion on the back looks very interesting and it covers maximum detailing. Hence another impressive design is this Lion Back Tattoo. Mostly extrovert men go for this design but nowadays some girls are preferring this and this design looks damn bold and classy. Nothing can beat this concept of intricate lion tattoo on the back actually!
7. Lioness Tattoo: As we know that Lion Tattoos look well on men but we should not forget about the beauty of the lioness too! Lioness Tattoo is such a design which is generally preferred by women. They go for the simple or geometric patterns to get it inked on their forearms or wrist. Often black colour is used to do this.
8. Splash of Colour Lion Tattoo: Isn’t it interesting to have a bright colourful tattoo? And it looks absolutely mind blowing if the imagery is of the Lion in between the splashes of colours. This design is named as Splash of Colour Lion Tattoo. This is a very unique and creative tattoo art as it applies a variety of colours and brings out the brave image of the lion. Generally black colour is used to draw the outlines and then the spaces are filled with different splashes of colours. Men generally do this on their biceps and forearms as this colourful tattoo can be then shown off properly.
9. Roaring Lion Tattoo: If any design can be both scary and bold at the same time then that is the Roaring Lion Tattoo. It shows the courage, strength and power of a lion. It looks scary because it shows the wild nature of the lion and bold because there is a great masculine concept hidden in these tattoos. Men prefer to do this kind of tattoo generally on their chest or back or forearm. Sometimes different colours are applied to add an extra texture and depth to this design. It is a perfect combination of the Eastern and Western tattooing styles. The geometric outlines bring the fineness to the pattern.
10. Lioness with Cub and Roses Tattoo: Lion stands for the masculine power. Similarly the lioness always defines the feminine imagery. Therefore another trendy design is the Lioness with Cub and Roses as it depicts the feminine power well. Women often love this design and prefer to do this on their back or forearm and only these areas can be covered with such a large design.
So that’s the collection of the top lion tattoo designs. Getting a tattoo is itself a big thing therefore before doing it the style, pattern and design we choose, should always be the best one!